Capital Structure ArbitrageHedge Funds
Among the most obvious places to find arbitrage opportunities is within a firm’s capital structure. Firms usually have many differing assets which use the firm’s value as the underlying investment. The value differences aren’t always held on a correct ratio to the firm’s value or other capital instruments. Differences in these values give traders potential arbitrage opportunities.
Capital structure arbitrage opportunities arise from differing investments issued by the underlying firm. The various components of capital structure include secured bonds, unsecured bonds, subordinated bonds, preferred banking debts, common or preferred shares, and many other potential examples. All of these instruments have the company’s value as the underlying asset. Price differences between assets are readily exploited for the profit of hedge funds. The underpriced assets are purchased, and the overpriced assets are short sold. Once the spread is narrowed, the purchased assets are sold and the short sales are closed. The profit is reinvested in other arbitrage capital opportunities.
Fund managers readily exploit these differences in hopes of gaining alpha. Alpha is generated by understanding the differing relationships capital instruments have with each other and the firm’s underlying value. Profit gained is determined by the manager’s knowledge of these relationships and ability to predict potential changes based on current and future events.
Did we help you? Vote with a Crypto-Donation!
Donate Bitcoin Cash
International Economic Analysis:
- Major Currency Economic Summaries
- Performance of Major Imports and Exports
- Mandates of Central Banks versus Expectations
- Performance Indexes of Major Economies
- Economically Correlated Currency Projections
- Large Funds Currency Sentiment Readings
- List of Technical Indicators to Look For
- Occasional: Foregin Exchange Technicals Markups
American Markets Analysis:
- Summaries of American Economic Structure
- Performance of Major
- Federal Reserve Mandate versus Expectations
- Performance Indexes of U.S Economy
- Economically Correlated U.S Dollar Projections
- Large Trading Fund Index Sentiment Readings
- Market Wide Earnings Versus Valuations
- Fundamental Ranking of U.S Business Sectors
- Best and Worst Future Consensus Estimates
- Occasional: Firm Fundamental Strength Report
- List of Technicals to Look for While Trading
Investment and Finance, Serviced by Amazon
No Results Found
The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.