A Housing Budget WarningPersonal Finance
Your home address is usually the biggest percentage of your budget. It also is the hardest of your financial costs to trim down. The only way to adjust the amount you pay is to ask your landlord or mortgage company for a reduction in monthly payment or move. When financial problems occur, an unaffordable housing arrangement which can’t be changed becomes difficult to stay with and difficult to leave. Many families discovered this in the 2008 financial crisis when adjustable rate mortgages resulted in skyrocketing monthly payments. These adjustments marched alongside job layoffs, pay reductions, and reductions in working hours. They couldn’t sell their houses either. The mortgage market dried up due to fear, and buyers dried up along with it. Rather than pay between 45% and 70% of their budget into housing thousands of people discovered it was easier to let their home go into foreclosure and destroy their credit rating. It takes seven years for a foreclosure to disappear from credit reports, and scores will rise only if defaulters live perfect debt lifestyles. So how do you avoid this situation?
You primarily need to resist urges and social pressures. Ignore anyone who tells you to buy more home than you can afford or splurge on your housing costs. This is especially true if they’re selling you a home or apartment. Their financial situation is probably poor. Alternatively, it’s making money off of your mistakes. Real Estate agents receive roughly 3% to 6% of the final sales price. That extra $30,000 on a home translates into $900 to $1,800 for them. Stay focused on your financial situation, not other people’s impressions of how you should live. When you move beyond what you can easily afford you increase your financial risk during economic downturns. Having to pay to move or switch living expenses will cost you even more.
Your best case scenario for housing costs is under 20% of your annual budget. The worst case scenario for your housing costs is 35%, and never above. At that range, you will definitely lose percentages of Investment income if you had any. After that, you will lose investment income. You need to maintain roughly three times your housing costs easily. Less gives you more financial room.
Did we help you? Vote with a Crypto-Donation!
Donate Bitcoin Cash
International Economic Analysis:
- Major Currency Economic Summaries
- Performance of Major Imports and Exports
- Mandates of Central Banks versus Expectations
- Performance Indexes of Major Economies
- Economically Correlated Currency Projections
- Large Funds Currency Sentiment Readings
- List of Technical Indicators to Look For
- Occasional: Foregin Exchange Technicals Markups
American Markets Analysis:
- Summaries of American Economic Structure
- Performance of Major
- Federal Reserve Mandate versus Expectations
- Performance Indexes of U.S Economy
- Economically Correlated U.S Dollar Projections
- Large Trading Fund Index Sentiment Readings
- Market Wide Earnings Versus Valuations
- Fundamental Ranking of U.S Business Sectors
- Best and Worst Future Consensus Estimates
- Occasional: Firm Fundamental Strength Report
- List of Technicals to Look for While Trading
Investment and Finance, Serviced by Amazon
No Results Found
The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.